Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Violet

Today is my Granny's birthday. She's no longer here. It's always a really difficult day for my mom. I made sure to send her a text with simply, "I love you." I made sure to listen to my "Granny song" on my way to work, twice. The song is "Go Rest High on that Mountain" by Vince Gill. I'm not really sure how I came across that song. I was probably just looking for music by Vince Gill because I love his voice so much.

Side note: In searching videos today of "Go Rest High" I came across a video of Kelly Clarkson singing it. It was nice but it didn't have the same feel. I probably would have enjoyed it more if the song didn't mean so much to me. Before Kelly started the song she mentioned that Vince Gill has a voice that is like butter and she wants to make out with it. My sentiments exactly.

Back to the story...I remember listening the song one time through and I didn't connect with the words right away, I connected with the voices. He has Patty Loveless (Queen of Harmonies) and Ricky Skaggs singing along with him. The three voices together are magic. Upon listening to it a time or two again, the words started to jump out.

"Oh, how we cried the day you left us." 
My Granny had her funeral pretty well planned out. She knew what songs she wanted played and what verses she wanted read. Granny did not have me scheduled to sing at her funeral. My aunts made me do it. They all knew how much she loved to hear me sing. My Granny was my biggest fan. Every year for Granny's birthday and Christmas, I gave her a tape of me singing karaoke. She loved it. It's all she ever wanted and sometimes she would request songs to be done. One of those songs was "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan. I remember recording it, I remember giving it to her. It was her favorite. And when she died, my aunts asked me to sing it at the funeral. I remember it like it was yesterday. The track started and I sang. I remember closing my eyes so I couldn't see everyone's face and how sad they were. I maintained composure through the whole song, because I was singing for my Granny. I remember hearing my aunts sob. The sobbing is what I remember with this line of the song.

Side note: I refuse to listen to the song "Angel" anymore. I still hear the sobs when I listen to it. I have done so twice in the past 8 years. Once when Pink sang it with Sarah McLachlan and once when Sarah Simmons performed it on The Voice.

"I wish I could see the angel's faces, when they hear your sweet voice sing."
Now, I never heard my Granny sing. I'm not quite sure that she really did. But Granny was a songwriter. She wrote many songs. A few of them were recorded by Bob White and the Candy Mountain Express, a bluegrass band. Music was a very big part of my Granny's life. I think that's where I get some of my appreciation for a great lyric.

"Go to Heaven a-shoutin' love for the Father and the Son"
Granny wasn't a church-goer, but she loved her some Jesus.

This was a lot harder to write than I thought it would be. I tried not to think about it too much and just let it flow. I can tell you the tears are flowing. I love you Granny and I miss you. I hope you can see how far I've come. Thanks for always believing in me.

Go Rest High on that Mountain

No comments: